Friday, May 20, 2011

shadowbox inspirations...

Did you sign up for the Birthday Treasury Shadowbox swap? Or, thinking about making a shadowbox of your own?

I love this shadowbox from One Lucky Day
...so inspiring! (click the link for fabulous details about this project)



Here's a list to get you inspired:
  • Search the scrapbook aisle for fun papers and stuff to decorate the box
  • Look to sites like Papier Valise and Speckled Egg for unusual materials 
  • Enlarge a photo to the full size of the shadowbox and then cut it to fit in the boxes
  • Use cabinet knobs, spools, game pieces, etc for feet 
  • Make or find miniature cakes, cupcakes, candies, etc. 
  • Use vintage dollhouse miniatures or make your own
  • Add a pennant banner or garland for dimension
  • Use jewelry bits to add sparkle 
  • Charms are great miniatures
  • Add a party hat to photos, cake picks, and figures
  • Use children's book illustrations or paper dolls 
  • Use Polly Pocket and other tiny doll toys
  • How about a tiny jar of sprinkles?
  • Use super tiny model railroad figures!
  • Background, foreground and even middle-ground...use it all to give your shadowbox real dimension
  • Mix scale within the shadowbox...a doll shoe is giant beside a n-scale railroad worker!
  • Vintage Cracker Jack toys, Barbie doll shoes & clothes, 
  • Think of the shadowbox as a 3-D art journal and include the same things you would there
  • You can hang things from tops of the boxes, too! 
I love this shadowbox so much 

And look at this fabulous shadowbox scrapbook 
found on Maya Road's design team blog:

And this fabulous shadowbox made by Katie Watson:

Don't you feel inspired? 
Comment with more inspiration if you'd like!

8 comments:

Pretty Things said...

OMG these are gorgeous!!!! I have an old, huge wooden tool box that I have tons of things in that SORT of qualifies.

Debby said...

Soooo cute. Can't wait to do one. Love Dottie
Angel's.

vivian said...

I finished Marlenes box already.. its soo cute. maybe I'll email a pic to you, cant post it yet as I dont want her to see it yet.
going to find your email address. thanks for hosting such a fun swap!
hugs
vivian

debi said...

You're going to get me hooked on shadow boxes with all these amazing ideas! lol

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Amy,
These shadow boxes look like fun projects to create. I remember making one as a young child with my Mom. Thanks for sharing.
Smiles, Paula

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Just posted my shadowbox made for the swap on my blog :) http://www.itchinstitchin.blogspot.com

val said...

Is really an inspiration!

Raymondvnhz said...

Hello Amy, These shadow boxes look like fun projects to create. I remember making one as a young child with my Mom. Thanks for sharing. Smiles, Paula