Monday, June 16, 2008

wrap around

When I was little, my mother made almost all my clothes. My favorite thing she ever made me was a wrap around skirt. She made many of them, actually. My favorite of the wrap around skirts was the exact color of cream of tomato soup. I loved it for that reason.

I'd wear these wrap around skirts to school with shorts underneath. At recess, I'd whip off the skirt and tie it around my neck to wear as a superhero cape. I'd run around as if I were saving the world.

I wish I could see that little girl today, crazy hair and even crazier smile and, best of all, sparkle in her eyes. I'd tell her that her crazy hair that only the old ladies seem love is beautiful. I'd tell her to keep smiling that big smile as if she was aiming to win the big smile contest. And I'd tell her to hold on to that sparkle just as long as she can. I'd tell her that it's okay to be different...it's okay to be yourself.

When I saw this wrap skirt on etsy it made me think of my skirt turned cape days. I think I should treat myself to one. You can find more here.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

I love that image of that little girl running with her cape!

kelly rae said...

just found you today via liz elayne. my goodness, pure delight. and that kitchen!! much goodness to you..kelly rae
(kellyraeroberts.com)

Dawn said...

What a delightful story!!!
I can soooo picture this...
You take the prize for charming smile in my book!

Yes, be YOU!

Lovie said...

Lovin' the skirt! I think you should absolutely treat yourself to one.

farmerjulie said...

lovely skirt. I could wear that everyday!

Decor To Adore said...

I think it's time you had another wrap skirt. I think "baby" would like to see the mama in a cape.
My wrap skirt was had bright oranges with green leaves on it.
I loved that skirt.

bee'nme said...

Amy, you amaze me girl! This is a great post - gave me a big ol' smile - what fantastic imagery and encouraging words!!! And BTW, I don't know how you do it, but your inspire magazine is just perfect! It is a delight from "cover to "cover"! Kudos to you for all you juggle to give Baby a good home as well as give us doses of pure inspirational genius!

Thanks for sharing,

Hugs and Blessings,
Becky

Tammy Gilley said...

i see that little girl with the fabulous curls, bright sparkle, and big smile everytime i see you, my friend! xoxtammy

Liz Harrell said...

That's great imagery... I can just see you now, running around in a cape! I'm loving that skirt.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

this is my current favorite fabric...love this skirt...and this peek into your childhood made me smile. and what you would tell your childhood self is really, really beautiful.

Mippie said...

Amy - I adore all of your posts but this one touched me so deeply! I think that little girl knew deep down how important it was to hold on to her sparkle because you sparkle brighter than anyone I know! I often wish I could go back and talk to the girl I was-there is so much I wish she knew... xo-Mel

Shelly G said...

I can still remember my wrap around skirt... My mother had made it... it was peach colored on the outside and had a fun dark flowered print on the inside.. I think I was 8 when she made it...It is amazing but I can remember a lot of what she made me growing up... she was an impressive seamstress... Your skirt is wonderful... I love it...

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

What a beautiful post dear heart..
It reminds me of me when I was little.
I was a super hero kinda girl too.
Lovely site..I will be back.
xoxo Nita

Anonymous said...

Oh, my mother made me those skirts, too, for Christmas one year. I was in the 2nd grade. My favorite one was rust colored, and I had THE most grown-up off the shoulder top to go with it! Only, I never thought to play super hero...dang! If I could go back, I'd tell myself to do it!! Thanks for stirring up those fond memories!
love Tammy
littlejunkshop.blogspot.com