Thursday, October 27, 2005

gingerbread

oh, how I love gingerbread when the chill is in the air. I made some this weekend and had a bit every afternoon with whipped cream with my cup of tea. It's all gone now...maybe I'll make more soon.

I made this last batch from a box. Martha Washington...just 50 cents a box! I doubled it by getting two boxes. All you do is mix in a cup of water and pour it into a well-greased baking dish! It tasted just as good as truly homemade, honestly. But if you want to make it from scratch, here's my father's recipe:



Mix thoroughly:

1/2 cup soft shortening

1 egg

1/2 cup sugar

Blend in:

1 cup dark molasses

1 cup boiling water

Sift together and stir in slowly, beating until smooth:

2 1/4 cup sifted flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ginger

1 tsp. cinnamon

Pour into a well greased and floured 9 inch square pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in a 325 degree oven. Serve hot with whipped cream or applesauce. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Chris Lautischer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Waterfall said...

I'm going to make some for Mr. Hugh!